Barry Callebaut - Optimization of cooling circuits and boiler plant & CHP implementation
Directed research into energy savings concerning cooling and heat production.
Optimization of the production and transport of energy flows (heat and cold):
- Increase efficiency of the cooling water production
- Increase efficiency of the steam output
- Increase efficiency of hot water boilers,in which the electric heating could be eliminated
Thus the gas and electricity consumption at Barry Callebaut was significantly reduced. In addition, Barry Callebaut saves a significant amount of water because open cooling systems were replaced by closed cooling systems and Barry Callebaut generated electricity locally through the CHP plant for their own use.
- Energy measurements on cold and heat flows
- Basic & financial engineering of different options, taking into account:
- Optimization of energy flows
- Thermal power control
- Minimizing buffer volumes
- Turn-key implementation of:
- Closed cooling systems to replace open cooling systems
- Economizer on steam boiler and overarching management of the boiler plant
- Production integrated CHP plant linked to steam and hot water production